Top 10 Best Charcoal Grills (Reviews & Buyers’ Guide 2022)
Engineer Warehouse recommends products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We may receive compensation if you click on a link. Last updated on June 5, 2022
- Best overall charcoal grill
- Top-rated with over 9,500 user ratings on Amazon
- Easy-to-clean thanks to One-Touch cleaning system
- Precision heat control using the aluminum dampers for controlled airflow
- High-temp cooking made possible with quality body and grill materials
- Hinged grill can be opened while cooking for easy access to charcoal pit
- With heat-resistant handle on the lid, angled hook on the interior of the lid allows hanging on the side for convenience
- Ergonomic hooks on grill body for hanging cooking utensils
- Durable wheels for easy transport
- 363 square inches of cooking surface, 7.5 inches lid height
- Best kamado charcoal grill
- Top-rated with over 3,200 user ratings on Amazon
- Portable size and design is ideal for camping, tailgates, beach trips, and traveling
- Uses less charcoal thanks to the insulated design and lockable lid
- Can pair with other Char-Griller products like smoker and grill cover
- Cast iron gates for enhanced flavor and heat retention
- Easy dump ash pan for quick cleaning
- Dual dampers for heat and airflow control
- Easy lift handles make carrying easy
- Best offset charcoal smoker grill
- Top-rated with over 3,300 user ratings on Amazon
- Combines the functionality of a charcoal grill and smoker
- 430 square inches of total cooking surface
- Adjustable height steel fire grate
- Clean-out door for easy ash removal
- With adjustable damper for heat and airflow control
- With temperature gauge for monitoring chamber temperature
- Porcelain-coated wire cooking grates
- Wide side shelf for condiments and utensils
- Stationary legs and two large wheels make transport easy and convenient
- Best small charcoal grill
- Top-rated with over 3,000 user ratings on Amazon
- One-touch cleaning system makes clean-up quick and easy
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, prevents rusting and peeling
- With angled hook on lid for easy hanging on grill
- Aluminum dampers for heat and airflow control
- With grill cover made of 100% durable polyester fabric, form-fitted cover with Velcro straps for snug fit
- Best gas and charcoal grill combo
- Top-rated with over 1,500 user ratings on Amazon
- Dual purpose charcoal and gas grill
- Total cooking surface of 557 square inches
- Chrome-plated warming racks and cast iron cooking grids for durability
- 3 stainless steel rube propane gas burners, with two temperature gauges for monitoring heat
- Charcoal grill comes with a front access door for adding charcoal
- With adjustable charcoal tray and removable ashtray for easy cleaning
- With black enamel lids and stainless steel trim enamel bowls for extra protection against rust and peeling
- With spacious side shelves for utensils, condiments, and other cooking ingredients
- Integrated tool holders and bottle opener for added utility
- Best large charcoal grill with offset smoker
- Top-rated with over 1,500 user ratings on Amazon
- Total of 811 square inches of cooking surface for charcoal smoker grill
- With durable porcelain-coated steel wire cooking grates and chrome-plated warming rack
- Offset smoker ensures good circulation of heat and smoke while cooking
- Easy-to-open side door for easy access; makes adding charcoal and cleaning ash quick and easy
- 2-level adjustable charcoal pan for heat control, air vents on the side for airflow and heat control
- Lid-mounted temp gauge for monitoring
- With front and side tables for extra prep space
- Comes with s-hooks for hanging cooking utensils and potholders
- With rack at the bottom for extra storage
- Two large wheels for added mobility
- Best extra-large charcoal grill
- Top-rated with over 1,200 user ratings on Amazon
- XXL-sized with massive 950 square inches of cooking surface, can fit 38 burgers on grill and warming rack
- Cast iron cooking grates for durability
- Adjustable fire grate and temp gauge on lid for extra heat control
- Easy dump ash pan makes cleaning quick and convenient
- Bottom shelf for extra storage space
- Stay cool wooden handles for easy grip
- With two large wheels for mobility
- Front and side shelves for utensils, ingredients, and other food items
- Comes with hooks for cooking utensils and potholders
- Made of heavy-duty steel and powder coated for extra protection against rust and peeling
- Best digital charcoal grill and smoker
- Top-rated with over 1,000 user ratings on Amazon
- Fully-digital controls for precise cooking, grilling, and smoking
- Can reach up to 225°F in 10 minutes or 700°F in 15 minutes, can smoke and sear without worries
- Temperature control can be fixed using the digital panel
- Gravity-fed charcoal hopper makes loading charcoal quick and easy
- With WIFI Bluetooth connectivity for convenience and added control
- Foldaway racks and shelves provide extra cooking and prep space
- With extra bottom shelf for more storage space
- Comes with wheels for added mobility
- Best charcoal smoker grill with included cover
- Top-rated with over 960 user ratings on Amazon
- Total 823 square inches of cooking surface
- Porcelain-enameled steel wire cooking grates and chrome-plated warming rack for extra durability
- Lids stay shut to keep moisture and smoke in, sealing all the juices and flavors of the food
- 2-level height adjustable charcoal pan and temp gauge on lid for better heat control
- Removable charcoal pan makes loading charcoal easy
- Front table and bottom shelf for added storage space
- Comes with two wheels for added mobility
- Grill and smoker cover included in package
- Best premium charcoal grill
- Top-rated with over 560 user ratings on Amazon
- 363 square inches of total cooking surface
- One-Touch cleaning system provides hassle-free cleaning with ash catcher
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat and protect it from rusting and peeling
- Cooking grate is compatible with GBS inserts
- Hinged grate makes adding charcoal quick and easy
- With CharBin storage container for safe and easy storage of charcoal
- Built-in lid thermometer and backlit LCD cook timer for precise cooking and temp control
- Side shelf and bottom rack for extra storage space
- Built-in hooks for hanging cooking utensils and potholders
- Lid catcher on the side for easy hanging of lid
Sharing food with family and friends will always be a swell idea. It’s a year-round experience that we all look forward to and for good reason: we love the idea of eating food with the people we love and care about. That’s why a charcoal grill will always have a place in any home—whether in the city or countryside.
We came up with a list of the best charcoal grills in the market right now that will not only help you cook up delicious meals for your family but also make you the star of weekend outdoor parties.
The cooking surface is one of the main things we looked at when we came up with this list. We wanted to recommend grills that have enough space so you can cook food without feeling cramped. Every pick on this list has enough cooking space so you can cook for your family and guests without having to cram everything in.
The size of your grill should be big enough to cook for more than two persons especially if you’re expecting guests. Not only will you be able to cook more food quickly with a big enough grill, but you will also have more space for your charcoal so you don’t have to keep reloading it often.
Built-in features like transport wheels, ergonomic handles, and shelves are easy to dismiss when you’re looking at charcoal grills. The first things you will always look at would be the body of the grill and the grill itself. However, you should also consider the other features that can make your cooking, grilling, and smoking experience better.
We love the fact that all of the recommendations on this list have solid features that really help with making cooking outdoors fun and easy. The lid holders, ash catch cans, temp gauges, warming racks, and adjustable charcoal pans are welcome additions to modern charcoal grills. Traditional charcoal grills often just have the pan, the grill itself, and the legs. That’s not the case anymore with the charcoal grills in the market. These features make all of these picks some of the best charcoal grills that you can currently buy.
Easy to Clean
Weber’s One-Touch system gets a special mention in this criteria because it makes sweeping and disposing of discarded ash and other debris so much easier. This hassle-free system eliminates the need to scoop up ash from the bottom of the grill just so you can load fresh coals into it.
The other options we included in this list have similar systems that let you load charcoal and clean the ash without the extra steps that you would normally have to take with older charcoal grills. Cleaning your grill should be made a habit so you can enjoy cooking with it for longer. Easy cleaning systems will help you do just that.
You may not give much thought to it but heat control is definitely a huge factor when it comes to grilling. Too much heat and you get charred food, not enough and you’ll see red all over your food since it’ll be undercooked.
Adjustable dampers, built-in fans, and temp gauges will help you achieve the right temperature and maintain it. Temperature plays an important role in grilling and cooking so you can get that perfect sear on your steak and the right amount of heat and smoke for your slow-cooked ribs and briskets.
We always include user ratings in our criteria whenever we review and recommend tools and gear for you. We believe that real reviews from real people who tried the products are valuable. User reviews are, for the most part, honest and unbiased. People will tell you what they like and don’t like a particular product and they won’t mince their words.
We want to recommend only the best products for you so we treat every feedback as an important part of our review process.
Good charcoal grills don't have to be ridiculously expensive. There are great options out there if you know where to look. That’s why we wanted to give you a comprehensive list of good quality options that offer great value for just the right price.
Some expensive items out there are good but sometimes the price tag can scare people away. Our picks are guaranteed to have a great value proposition with their features, design, and build quality. We won’t recommend products that we won’t use ourselves. It’s just that simple.
View the Best Charcoal Grills in the Market Below:
Best Overall Charcoal Grill
Weber made cooking a feast fun and easy with their Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill. This 22-inch charcoal grill snags the top spot on our list with its solid construction and thoughtful features.
Being the best charcoal grill on our list is no coincidence for the Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill. It boasts of nice features that will make your outdoor grilling experience more enjoyable. The One-Touch cleaning system is one of the features we like most about this pick. No need to scoop up ash thanks to its useful catch pan at the bottom. Simply unclasp the charcoal pan and take out the ash for disposal. No mess, no fuss, just easy cleaning.
As for cooking itself, the Weber Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill uses a sturdy grill to give your steaks and burgers the perfect sear and smoke. It’s also hinged so you can keep reloading your charcoal without having the need to take out the whole grill itself. It’s perfect for maintaining the right amount of heat while cooking.
The enamel-coated lid and pan keep the heat in with the help of the aluminum dampers. The adjustable dampers let you finetune the airflow, effectively giving you more control over the cooking temperature while you grill or smoke your food. You can also completely extinguish the coals by closing off the dampers completely and eliminating the flow of oxygen in the grill.
Other features we like about this pick from Weber include the ergonomic stay-cool handles, angled hook on the lid for easy hanging of the lid to the side, built-in hooks for utensils and potholders, additional rack for more storage, and the durable wheels for added mobility so you can move your grill around the backyard or patio for the perfect grilling spot.
We’re definitely loving the functionality and design of this Weber charcoal grill. In our opinion, you can’t go wrong with this option especially if you’re a fan of outdoor charcoal grills.
This pick is currently available on Amazon for $194.
|39.5 x 22.5 x 27”
Best Kamado Charcoal Grill
Make cooking for family and friends a whole lot easier (and fun) with the Char-Griller AKORN Jr. Portable Kamado Charcoal Grill. This egg-shaped grill can help you whip up meals fit for a king with its nifty features and great design.
Kamado grills became popular for their unique look and equally great cooking capabilities. You can go from low and slow for those fall-off-the-bone dishes to blazing hot for seared steaks and burgers with kamado grills. The high ceiling and low fire pit provide great air circulation inside the grill so you can get the right amount of heat and smoke for your meats and vegetables. Char-Griller picks it up a notch by adding dual dampers—found on the top and bottom of the grill—to help you get just the right amount of heat in your grill.
One of the features we like about this kamado charcoal grill is its triple wall construction. This design keeps the heat in to make sure your food remains juicy and tender while it’s cooking. Traditional kamado grills are typically made of ceramic materials but Char-Griller went the other route by using steel, effectively cutting the weight of the grill without sacrificing functionality.
Sear steaks, smoke ribs, roast chicken, and even bake pizzas with ease. This kamado charcoal grill and smoker from Char-Griller can do all of them. What’s even great about this particular grill is that you can bring it along on glamping trips and tailgates so you never have to settle for take-out meals. The easy lift handles and portable size of this kamado charcoal grill make for easy carrying so you can set up in camp or at a party or anywhere in between in a jiffy.
Other features that we like about the Char-Griller AKORN Jr. include the easy-to-read temp gauge, cast iron grates, and easy dump ash pan for quick and easy cleaning.
This pick is currently available on Amazon for $168.
|20 x 20 x 20”
Best Offset Charcoal Smoker Grill
|17.5 x 46.25 x 44.75”
Best Small Charcoal Grill
Make weekends better and become the star of get-togethers with this portable charcoal grill from Weber. This 18-inch version of their Premium Kettle charcoal grill makes equally tasty and mouth-watering dishes without the extra bulk and weight.
Craving for charcoal-grilled steaks and slow-roasted ribs is a shared experience. Just ask anyone who’s been to a good backyard barbecue and you’d easily find out that no one will pass on the opportunity to grab a good steak. The Weber Original Kettle charcoal grill can do this and more even with its smaller size.
This small charcoal grill packs a lot of nice features that will help you feed a group or just two really hungry campers. The 18-inch grill can fit up to nine burgers and keep the smoky goodness of charcoal in using its porcelain-enameled lid. The porcelain helps keep the heat and moisture in so you get that perfect mix of sear and smoke with every flip of the meat. The dampers also help maintain the right amount of heat by control the airflow inside the grill.
Other features we like about this small charcoal grill from Weber include the porcelain-enameled bowl, hassle-free cleaning thanks to the One-Touch system, ergonomic lid and body handles, rust-resistant ash pan, and durable legs and wheels. Oh, we almost forgot to mention that this pick comes with a cover so you can concentrate more on having fun at your barbecue without worrying about your grill being exposed to the elements.
The Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill and Smoker is currently available on Amazon for $143.99.
|18.5 x 23 x 35”
Best Gas and Charcoal Grill Combo
When charcoal just isn’t enough, you have to call in the big guns. In comes the Dual Fuel Combination Charcoal and Gas Grill from BLOSSOMZ. This dual-fuel option can make easy work of roasting, grilling, smoking, and a whole lot more in a cinch.
Going low and slow with your recipes is never a bad thing but for times when you need to cook up a feast quickly, a gas grill will come in handy. Unexpected guests will surely love you for serving them extra plates with this dual-fuel charcoal and gas grill from BLOSSOMZ. The extra grilling power from the gas grill will have you searing steaks and burgers in record time thanks to its quick grilling capabilities.
What’s also great about this pick is its total of 557 square inches of cooking surface so you can roast ribs on one side and flip patties on the other without feeling cramped. The ample cooking surface will be a god-sent feature if you’re expecting more hungry guests.
We also love the thoughtful design route that BLOSSOMZ took in making this gas and charcoal grill combo. You have extra prep space thanks to the dual shelves on both sides of the grill and a rack on the bottom for other needs like charcoal and propane tank storage. This dual-purpose charcoal grill also has temp gauges on both the gas and charcoal grill for better heat control.
The BLOSSOMZ Dual Fuel Combination Charcoal and Gas Grill is currently available on Amazon for $271.35. In our opinion, this is one of the best charcoal and gas grills in the market right now. Cop one and be prepared for backyard barbecues and outdoor grilling anytime.
|64 x 28 x 49.75”
Best Large Charcoal Grill With Offset Smoker
Grill on one side and smoke on the other with this charcoal grill with offset smoker from Royal Gourmet. This large charcoal grill and smoker boasts a total cooking surface of 811 square inches for those big family get-togethers and weekend roasts with your pals.
We like how Royal Gourmet thought of giving customers the opportunity to smoke and grill food at the same time. The offset smoker can keep ribs and other meats separate from the grilled patties in the main grill. This function-forward design lets you cook different dishes all at the same time. No smoke goes to waste since the grill and offset smoker are connected.
To add to the grill’s functionality, Royal Gourmet also included a warming rack on the top portion of the main grill so you can keep food warm and tasty before serving them to your guests. The front shef can also hold an assortment of cooking utensils, ingredients, condiments, and even a beer for you while you keep an eye on all the smoking and grilling goodness happening in front of you.
Other features we love about this grill and smoker combo include the adjustable charcoal pan, dampers for more airflow and heat control, easy open side door for removing ash and adding charcoal, extra bottom rack for storage, and durable wheels.
The Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker takes the number six spot on our list and is our pick for one of the best large charcoal grill with smoker. It is currently available on Amazon for
|53.39 x 27.95 x 48.82”
Best Extra-Large Charcoal Grill
Be the best backyard party host in your neighborhood and grill up a feast with this extra-large charcoal grill from Char-Griller. The Outlaw can fit up to 38 burgers in one time thanks to its massive 950 square inches of cooking space.
Being the king of weekend barbecues can be in arms reach with this extra-large charcoal grill from Char-Griller. The generous cooking surface will let you sear steaks, flip burgers, roast chicken, and smoke luscious baby back ribs in one convenient grill. This is the perfect backyard charcoal grill if you’re expecting a trove of hungry guests.
Aside from the massive grill, Char-Griller also throws in a slew of other features that make this a tempting option. We love the large lid that has a built-in temp gauge so you can monitor the heat while slow roasting some appetizing meats and veggies. The removable warming rack also lets you keep your food warm so you always have some servings ready for plating.
Another thing we love about this extra-large charcoal grill is the shelves. The front shelf can conveniently fit cooking utensils, condiments, and beverages while the side shelf can serve as a mini carving station—perfect for trimming steaks and cutting up portions for your hungry patrons.
Other features that we like about this pick from Char-Griller include the adjustable dampers, stay-cool wooden handles, built-in hooks, bottom storage shelf, and the two large wheels for easy carting from one spot to another. In our opinion, you can’t get any better than this pick if you’re looking for a deluxe-sized backyard griller.
The Char-Griller Outlaw Charcoal Grill is currently available on Amazon for $244.25.
|42 x 29 x 50”
Best Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker
Technology meets traditional charcoal grilling with this high-tech pick from Masterbuilt. The Gravity Series Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker gives you all the bells and whistles of a modern backyard barbecue grill and all the convenience you can ask for.
We instantly fell in love with this grill the moment we saw it. It’s all a barbecue aficionado can ask for in the modern age with all its digital controls and forward-thinking features. Masterbuilt really took into consideration the different aspects of grilling and made a masterful interpretation of what a modern charcoal grill and smoker should look like.
The Masterbuilt Gravity Series Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker puts all the control you need in a grill right at your fingertips. The digital control panel lets you finetune the heat of your grill with a simple touch of a button—from airflow to heat inside the grill. The WIFI and Bluetooth function lets you connect your phone to the grill so you can monitor and control everything even while you’re entertaining guests and doing other party chores. The digital fan purrs into action, making sure that you can go from low and slow to flaming hot in a matter of minutes. The fan can precisely control the heat in your grill and can even reach up to 225°F in 10 minutes or 700°F in 15 minutes—hot enough to cook a perfectly seared steak.
Another feature worth mentioning is the gravity-fed charcoal hopper that feeds your grill with enough charcoal to keep the fire going. Fully loaded, this gravity-fed charcoal grill can carry up to 16 lbs of charcoal briquettes and 10 lbs of lump charcoal. You’ll never have to worry about running out of charcoal while cooking with this digital grill ever again.
560 square inches of cooking space—check! Digital control panel—check! Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity—check! Gravity-fed charcoal grill—check! Warming racks and side shelf—another check! You just can’t go wrong with this modern charcoal grill in our opinion. It covers all your bases and ticks off all the right boxes for the best digital charcoal grill.
This unique piece of grilling equipment is currently available on Amazon for $799.99. Feature-rich and good in value, this is definitely worth considering if you want a quality digital charcoal grill.
|33.07 x 61.02 x 52.17”
Best Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker With Included Cover
Keeping it simple never hurts, especially when it comes to good barbecue. Some veterans would even pick the simplest backyard grill for their barbecue over fancy options out there simply because they like doing things the old way.
The Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker has everything you need in a charcoal grill and nothing that you don’t. This grill and smoker combo has a total of 823 square inches of cooking space and that’s a lot of real estate for cooking steaks, burgers, sausages, and roasting corn on the weekends. This simple but effective charcoal grill and smoker will not only help you whip up a fine course of assorted grilled meats for your family, but it can also make your barbecue experience fun with its useful features.
Royal Gourmet’s grill and smoker combo design can let you cook different recipes at once. The grill’s large cooking space can accommodate sausages and steaks while the offset smoker can slow cook ribs in its dedicated space. The smoke from the grill goes into the smoker as you cook, giving your food more of that flavorful aroma.
Other features we like about this charcoal grill and smoker combo from Royal Gourmet include the adjustable dampers for airflow and heat control, built-in temp gauge on the lid, adjustable charcoal pans, cool-touch spring handles, built-in smoke stack, additional shelves for storage, and the included cover for the whole grill and smoker.
The Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grill and Smoker is currently available on Amazon for $156.99.
|45.7 x 28 x 48.8”
Best Premium Charcoal Grill
Coming in at the number 10 spot on our list is another grill from Weber, the Performer Premium Charcoal Grill. This sleek and stylish charcoal grill is our premium pick that boasts excellent performance with its solid features.
Weber charcoal grills are known for their easy-to-use features and systems like the One-Touch cleaning system that makes cleaning and maintenance a hassle-free experience. The catch can at the bottom of the grill body is detachable so you can easily dispose of ash and other debris. Since it’s detachable, cleaning it is also relatively easy—just wipe or rinse the catch can and you’re all set.
What we love about this deluxe 22-inch charcoal grill from Weber is its compatibility with other parts from the Gourmet BBQ System (GBS). Weber’s proprietary GBS system lets the user customize their grill with an assortment of accessories that make the cooking experience fun and convenient. The built-in hinged grate of the Performer Premium Charcoal Grill is part of this system and makes loading charcoal quick and easy.
Cooking a sumptuous meal is made fun and hassle-free with the assortment of other features of this grill. The lid with adjustable dampers keeps the flavors and smoky aroma in while giving users the option to control airflow and heat. The built-in temp gauge on the lid gives you an accurate measurement of heat inside the pan so you know when to turn the meat and other food items for that perfect sear or smokiness. The backlit LCD timer on the grill body also lets you monitor your cooking time so your food comes out perfectly every time.
Other features we like about this pick from Weber include the lid rack on the side of the grill, side shelf and bottom rack for extra storage, built-in hooks for hanging tongs, spatulas, and other cooking utensils, and the built-in weather-protected CharBin that lets you keep your charcoal safe and dry.
The Weber Performer Premium Charcoal Grill is currently available on Amazon for $459.
|43.5 x 30 x 48”